NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore’s grassroots advocacy leaders educate legislators and influence policy-making decisions that better the lives of those affected by behavioral health issues. NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore works collaboratively with NAMI, NAMI Maryland, and Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition partners.
NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore is a member of the Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition, a diverse mix of over fifty non-profit and non-governmental organizations working together to ensure individuals affected by mental health and substance use disorders receive effective and efficient care. The Coalition has a strong legislative platform that will continue to expand access to critical behavioral health services across the lifespan. In 2018, our legislative priorities were:
- Support our behavioral health workforce and guarantee access to a comprehensive system of care by fully funding the Keep the Door Open commitment.
- Expand crisis treatment and telehealth services to ensure access to urgent care and address behavioral health provider shortages.
- Improve outcomes measurement of behavioral health services delivered in the primary care setting.
Download the full 2018 legislative platform to learn more about each issue here. Stay tuned for our full 2019 legislative platform!
There are many ways to get involved in NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore’s advocacy efforts:
- Attend Advocacy Day: Our next statewide Advocacy Day will be held in February 2019. Advocates will meet with legislators at the start of the legislative session. Share your personal stories and discuss mental health policies with your elected officials. Registration is encouraged so that we can coordinate meetings on your behalf. To be added to the interest list for Advocacy Day 2019, call the NAMI Metro Baltimore office at 410-435-2600.
- Participate in NAMI Smarts for Advocacy: NAMI Smarts for Advocacy is a hands-on training that will help you transform lived experience into skillful grassroots advocacy. The training includes a series of 90-minute modules to develop a wide range of advocacy skills. See the upcoming schedule.
- Contact Your Legislator: Find your state and national legislative representatives.