NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore’s grassroots advocacy leaders educate legislators and influence policy-making decisions that better the lives of those affected by behavioral health issues. NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore works collaboratively with NAMI, NAMI Maryland, and Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition partners.
NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore is a member of the Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition, a diverse mix of over fifty non-profit and non-governmental organizations working together to ensure individuals affected by mental health and substance use disorders receive effective and efficient care. The Coalition has a strong legislative platform that will continue to expand access to critical behavioral health services across the lifespan. In 2019, our legislative priorities are:
- Increase school behavioral health supports to improve student outcomes.
- Fully fund prior “Keep the Door Open” budget commitments.
- Promote medication-assisted treatment and other substance use treatment options.
- Divert behavioral health patients from emergency rooms and general hospitals.
Download the full 2019 legislative platform to learn more about each issue here.
There are many ways to get involved in NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore’s advocacy efforts:
- Attend Advocacy Day: Our next statewide Advocacy Day will be on February 2oth, 2019. Advocates will meet with legislators at the start of the legislative session. Share your personal stories and discuss mental health policies with your elected officials. Register here so we can coordinate meetings on your behalf. Call NAMI Metro at 410-435-2600 with questions.
- Participate in NAMI Smarts for Advocacy: NAMI Smarts for Advocacy is a hands-on training that will help you transform lived experience into skillful grassroots advocacy. The training includes a series of 90-minute modules to develop a wide range of advocacy skills. See the upcoming schedule.
- Contact Your Legislator: Find your state and national legislative representatives.