NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore’s grassroots advocacy leaders educate legislators and influence policy-making decisions that better the lives of those affected by behavioral health issues. NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore works collaboratively with NAMI, NAMI Maryland, and Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition partners.
NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore works with NAMI Maryland and NAMI affiliates throughout the state to advance our legislative priorities. We are committed to ensuring access to comprehensive, quality mental health care, recognizing these services improve the lives of the more than one million Marylanders affected by mental illness. In 2019, NAMI Maryland’s legislative priorities include:
- Improving access to treatment services and enforcing parity protections.
- Improving the criminal justice system’s response to individuals living with a mental health condition
- Protecting and increasing funding for behavioral health services in Maryland
Download the full NAMI Maryland legislative platform to learn more about each issue here.
NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore is a also member of the Maryland Behavioral Health Coalition, a diverse mix of over fifty non-profit and non-governmental organizations working together to ensure individuals affected by mental health and substance use disorders receive effective and efficient care. In 2019, the Coalition legislative priorities are:
- Increase school behavioral health supports to improve student outcomes.
- Fully fund prior “Keep the Door Open” budget commitments.
- Promote medication-assisted treatment and other substance use treatment options.
- Divert behavioral health patients from emergency rooms and general hospitals.
Download the full 2019 legislative platform to learn more about each issue here.
There are many ways to get involved in NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore’s advocacy efforts:
- Attend Advocacy Day: Our next statewide Advocacy Day will be on in February 2020. Advocates will meet with legislators at the start of the legislative session. Share your personal stories and discuss mental health policies with your elected officials.
- Participate in NAMI Smarts for Advocacy: NAMI Smarts for Advocacy is a hands-on training that will help you transform lived experience into skillful grassroots advocacy. The training includes a series of 90-minute modules to develop a wide range of advocacy skills.
- Join our Advocacy Interest List: Email email@example.com or call the NAMI Metro HelpLine at 410-435-2600 to be added to our Advocacy interest list. NAMI staff will share information on upcoming Smarts for Advocacy trainings and details on Advocacy Day.
- Contact Your Legislator: Find your state and national legislative representatives.