Support from family members can make a big difference in the life of someone experiencing mental health challenges. NAMI’s family education and support programs offer support, empathy, and valuable information to help you in supporting a loved one while maintaining your own well being.
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 8-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness. It is a designated evidence-based program that includes presentations, discussion and interactive exercises. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to an individual living with a mental health condition.
What You’ll Gain
NAMI Family-to-Family provides critical information and strategies for taking care of the person you love.
In the program, you’ll learn about:
- How to manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family
Register for a Class
NAMI Family-to-Family is offered virtually. Space is limited and advanced registration is required.
Location: Online via Zoom
Dates: Saturdays, March 13th – May 1st, 2:00 – 4:00 PM
To register for the class, click here or please contact our HelpLine at (410) 435-2600 or email email@example.com.
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-session education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing mental health issues. You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care.
What You’ll Gain
The 6-session, peer-led program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school, and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
Register for a Class
NAMI Basics is offered virtually. Space is limited and advanced registration is required. To join our interest list for an upcoming class, please contact our HelpLine at (410) 435-2600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NAMI Family Support Group
NAMI Family Support Group is a peer-led support group for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances.
NAMI’s support groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and get what they need. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community.
Attend a Support Group
NAMI Family Support Group is offered virtually. You can click here to register. The support group meets weekly on Thursdays from 7:00pm – 8:30pm.
Please contact the NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore HelpLine at 410-435-2600 or email email@example.com for information about NAMI Family Support Groups.